Sunday, September 11, 2011

What is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)? part 1 continued....

 (this sounds stupid, I know, but there is design behind this allegory.)
So imagine, if you will, a very large video monitoring system that uses 5000 volts of electricity to operate NORMALLY and compare to a home alarm system that operates on a 9 volt battery. The home alarm system is a representation of a non-ADHD person. It can focus on smoke detection, intrusion and summoning emergency services. It's purpose is VERY focused on a few tasks and does them VERY well. The 5000 volt machine, let's say, is a video monitoring system that can pipe in every airport in the world.  It is VERY good at gathering large amounts of information at one time about many places and events but not very good at acting on any single piece of information. Would you try to power the 5000 volt machine with a 9 volt battery? of course not! It wasn't designed for that. It would be ludicrous to think you could force that machine to operate like that. Would you plug in the home alarm system to a 5000 volt power feed? well you get where I am going. So knowing the obvious answer, why is it that so many non-ADHD people try to keep pigeon holing us into using the behavior patterns that work only for them? the answer is...and I know your not going to like it...is ignorance and impatience. How many times have I heard my ex-spouse say "Why should I always cater to your issues. That is so selfish and unfair for me to have to change what I expect from you when I need the things you cannot give." Catch 22? not really. Just a lack of understanding and willingness to work with the situation to produce the results she wants and no patience to try. NMP. Not my problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rule NUMERO UNO. You don't have to agree with my views so we can agree to disagree. Keep it civil. Hostile, ugly or just plain ignorant comments will be deleted.